Sunday, November 25, 2007

How to Spice Up Your Articles and Attract More Readers

By Nancy Ayash
I can make you something in 3D; a Pop-Up. Or, I can fold my words into a paper airplane and send them flying into the clouds. Would you prefer elastic? Let me show you how I s-t-r-e-t-c-h words like taffy; then chop them into smaller words; and wrap these tiny morsels with bright candy wrappers; and that’s just the texture of my writing.

Need lots of color? I’ll splash words into blotches of paint; drip it; smudge all the colors just right to form the perfect image. Want it sweet? I’ll create words in large crystal chunks of raw sugar; or melt-in-your-mouth cotton candy. Looking for something hot? I can pepper words with exotic spices you’ve never heard of. Yes, it’s an art; a very fine art; the work of a copywriter.

Unfortunately, I’m not a copywriter; I write content. I’m Sergeant Joe Friday of Dragnet; (dum-dee-dum-dum) “Just the facts ma’am; just the facts.” I’m concerned with time, weather, and all sorts of data. I might live in a black and white world, but I still need that color to keep me from producing wikipedia text. A good content writer must find that sweet spot by combining facts with art. I need to give the reader information, but keep it interesting.

Here are some tips for combining these two forms of writing into an entertaining yet useful article.

• I begin with facts. This is the frame of a good article; it’s the structure upon which I can build my writing. For example, let’s say I’ve chosen the subject of Micro Investing; I need to give the reader a quick over-view of what this means in terms of risk and reward, and how it might benefit the independent investor. I also need to bring the subject into the reader’s awareness in an efficient manner; I must be brief.

• Next, I’ll add support to the framework by introducing data; this gives weight to the article; what defines a penny stock? How do they trade? Does a low share price always equate to low quality? I’ll provide the good, the bad, and the ugly about micro investing.

• At this point I’ll add some copy. This is the sugar and spice within the writing that gives it some zip. Terms like “wild west” and “rowdy cowpokes” come to mind in the land of micro/penny stocks; HIGH risk and BIG rewards; “Thar’s gold in them thar hills.” Perhaps I’ll even throw in a cowboy quote, “Always drink upstream from the herd.”

There’s a bold contrast between mainstream investing and penny stocks, and this presents an opportunity to use copywriting skills.

As a content writer, I have to make the article easy to read, hold the reader’s attention, and give valuable information; all within a confined space. But I also need copy as a glaze to bring out the shine; and that requires some sugar or spice.

Informative articles don’t have to be a pile of old, dried-out wood. They can be very entertaining and lively. Just remember to use copy sparingly; a little goes a long way.

Nancy Ayash is a freelance writer currently residing in the Pacific Northwest. http://www.creativewordz.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Nancy_Ayash

No comments: