Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Goodbye Mister Rogers

Quote: “I feel the greatest gift we can give to anybody is the gift of our honest self.”
Author: Fred Rogers


One of my favorite human beings of all time is Mister Fred Rogers. He was a well known performer who has had a positive impact on many people living in North America. He was born in 1928 in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. He developed the idea of a children’s show in 1950. In 1963, he was ordained a Presbyterian Minister and practiced his gentle and compassionate ways on the television show, Mister Rogers. In 1963 he had his first show in Canada, and then in 1967, the show was moved to the United States.

This show was loved, and watched by young and old alike. It played for thirty years on the Public Broadcasting System. This is the longest running show in PBS history. Mister Fred Rogers played Mr. McFeely on his show. He helped children feel comfortable about their feelings. He also showed different circumstances on the show and how to deal with these situations. By using role play, Mister Rogers taught children how to interact with others in a positive manner.

Fred Rogers not only had an excelling television program that helped children. But he was also honored by President Bush in 2002. Fred Rogers was presented with the Presidential Medal of Freedom because of his contribution of well being to children, and his career demonstrated the importance of kindness, compassion and learning. Fred Rogers is an American icon for goodness and peace. His cardigan sweater hangs in the Smithsonian Museum to remind us of his goodwill towards all men.

Fred Rogers died in 2003 from stomach cancer. He was only 74 years old. His life was short lived, but his ideas are a part of me. I watched Mister Rogers as a child, and had my children watch the show with me as they grew up. Watching this show was a peaceful time in our family. No one was getting killed or saying obscene language on his show. The show talked about morals, introduced interesting people, and helped children relax.

At this time I am going to college to be a teacher. Fred Rogers taught me to see the goodness of others, and the goodness in myself. “I like me just the way I am.” In this world I don’t have to be perfect, but I do have to show respect to all living creatures. I have learned to take responsibility for all my actions, no matter how small. I instill these qualities into my children, and hopefully into my classroom. I think this world needs more people like Mr. Rogers.

REFERENCES
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/27/rogers.obit/index.html

No comments: